Now you can easily file your income tax returns (ITR) online using the official e-filing ITR portal. The government has redesigned the e-filing portal to help taxpayers with the process. The new e-filing process is easier, quicker and allows you to pay income tax and file your ITR from the comfort of your home.
Step-by-Step Guide to Filing ITR Online
To file ITR online or do e-filing, you must first register on the ITR filing portal. In case you’ve already registered, you can log in directly to file ITR.
Here are the steps to register on the e-filing portal:
– Open a web browser on your computer and visit https://www.incometax.gov.in
– On the upper right side of the page, you can find the option to ‘Log in’ or ‘Register. Click on ‘Register’
– On the next page, click on ‘Taxpayer’, enter your PAN details and click on ‘Validate’. Next, you can click on ‘Continue’.
– On the ensuing page, enter your personal details like name, gender, date of birth, etc. Provide your email address and mobile number as well.
– Once you’ve filled the form, you can click on ‘Continue’.
– Your mobile number will be verified by an OTP. Enter the OTP and complete the registration process.
– The next step will require you to set up a password and secure login message.
– Once you click on ‘Register’, you’d have successfully registered yourself on the e-filing portal.
Steps to File ITR using e-filing Portal
Once you’ve registered, you can file your ITR using the following steps:
– Go to https://www.incometax.gov.in and click on ‘Login’
– Enter your username and click ‘Continue’. Enter your password when asked.
– Once you have logged in, click on the ‘e-file’ tab and select ‘File Income Tax Return’
– On the next page, select the Assessment year for which you’re filing the IT return.
– You’ll be asked whether you want to file your returns online or offline. Choose ‘Online.
– On the next page, choose whether you want to file ITR as Individual, HUF or others. In this case, choose ‘Individual’ you’re filing for yourself.
– Select your ITR Form number. For example, individuals usually have to select ITR 1 when selecting ITR Form. IF you’re not sure what ITR form to choose, click on ‘Help me decide which ITR form to file’.
– On the next page, you’ll be asked if you’re filing ITR for certain reasons like if taxable income is more than basic exemption limit, ITR filing due to conditions of seventh provision of Section 139(1). Choose the appropriate option.
– In the next step, provide your bank details. PRe-validate the details if already provided.
– You’ll now be redirected to a new page with information regarding your ITR. Most of the details will already be pre-filled. Just ensure everything is accurate. Confirm the summary and validate it.
– The final step involves verifying your IT return and sending a hard copy to the Income Tax Department.
In this way, you can easily file ITR and pay income tax online from the comfort of your home. It is a hassle-free process and you can save fees that may otherwise be required if you get your tITR filed by third parties. The government has made it very easy to do so yourself by simplifying the e-filing process.