Not sure what foods are good to eat on the keto diet? There is no need to worry anymore because a keto food list will get you started. By scaling back on glucose, this high-fat, low-carb ketogenic diet will shift your body into a state of ketosis. Bear in mind that ketosis is a state of burning fat instead of sugar for energy. Let’s take the guesswork out of eating keto, use this complete keto diet food list to get started.
What can you eat on the keto diet?
There are some parallels between the keto diet and the Atkins diet, as well as the Candida diet. Need to know what is it, Check it out. However, what sets keto apart is, unlike the latter, it does not give an unlimited pass to protein consumption. Excess protein also gets converted to glucose as same as carbohydrates. It is something we don’t want much of in order to reach ketosis faster.
Unlike most other diets, all veggies are not allowed to go on keto. However, some of the vegetables are higher in carbs than others that are also going go keto principles.
Instead of starchy root veggies, it is recommended to stick to those that grow above ground. Moreover, high fiber ones. Here’s a non-exhaustive list:
- bell peppers
Some fruits are high in sugar to be acceptable for the keto diet, as well as Candida. However, there are some fruits that you can enjoy in moderation. It is recommended to stick on small servings and limit the intake to one serving a day.
Avocados are high in fat and low in sugar. It is a fruit that you can often eat on the keto diet. If we talk about berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries are all okay. However, stick to a small serving size; just 1 cup of blueberries. Moreover, it is recommended to take fresh fruit rather than shake or juice as well as also check the keto review.
Herbs and spices
Both herbs and spices are considered perfect for adding tons of flavor to the food without relying on condiments. Go beyond the usual salt and pepper with cumin and cinnamon, parsley and sage, basil and oregano, paprika and turmeric, and garlic and ginger.
Always choose full-fat in the ketogenic site such as:
- Cheeses. You can opt for cheddar, Swiss, cottage, gouda, and ricotta
- Yogurt. Full fat, plain, and unsweetened is the best way to
- Team. To dollop on low carb tacos a well as use in keto-friendly baking
- Heavy cream. Add a few spoonful’s to coffee or thicken curries and soups with it
Fat is the only way to keep the body in the state of ketosis. However, protein is also a crucial part of the keto diet as it enables gluconeogenesis, a process that fuels tissue and maintains glucose levels.
Include these options of protein on your plate to get your fix:
- Poultry. Turkey works but if you want fattier cuts of chicken, go for .thighs or wings.
- Beef. Prefer higher fat cuts such as steaks over lean ground beef.
- Seafood. Especially oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, and tuna.
- Eggs. Embrace the yolk of the egg, where all of the fat and nutrients live.
Role of Fats and oils in Keto Diet
Fat is the cornerstones of the keto. In the keto diet, it is the macronutrient that is needed to maintain good health. Make sure you are feasting on the right fats. Some of the recommended fats on the keto diet are:
Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs)
- Certain oils. Avocado, olive, walnut, and flaxseed are optimal to use
- Avocados. Worth a second mention
- Olives. Pair the olives with cheese for a well-balanced keto snack plate
- Nuts and nut products. Make sure the nuts haven’t been roasted in vegetable oil.