Hospitals as well as health care experts are expected to provide competent medical treatments to patients. However, when any doctor fails to meet the standards, it results in the injury or death of the patient. In such cases, the party at-fault can be held responsible for medical malpractice.
Common Medical Errors that Lead to Lawsuit
Even a small mistake of a doctor can affect the life of the patient significantly. In case you or a loved one is injured due to a doctor’s negligence or medical error, you might be entitled to the compensation. Here is a list of medical errors that can lead to the lawsuit
Medication errors occur when a doctor or health care expert prescribes an incorrect dosage of medication or the wrong type of medication to the patient. There are numerous ways a doctor might commit the medication error like:
- Failing to ask the patient in case she or he takes any medication on a regular basis
- Prescribing the wrong type or dosage of medication
- Administering a patient with the medicine she or he might be allergic to
- Neglecting to mention the dangers associated with medication or drug
Delayed Diagnosis or Misdiagnosis
Misdiagnosis when a doctor diagnosis the patient with a wrong medical condition. This might result in dangerous as well as unnecessary treatment. It might even worsen the actual condition of the patient. When a doctor fails to identify the symptoms of the medical condition of a patient until a later date, it is called delayed diagnosis. This might prevent the patient from getting timely treatment and resulting in the worst condition of the patient or even death.
When the mother or a baby is injured or killed due to the negligence of health care providers it is known as birth injury. Failing to perform emergency C-section, anticipate the size of the child’s head or body, responding to fetal distress inadequately, etc. are common birth injuries. These injuries might cause the child to suffer permanent injuries like bruises, shoulder dystocia, Erb’s palsy, and many others.
A surgical error occurs when any patient suffers an injury during surgery due to the negligence of the health care provider. This might happen when a surgeon commits a serious error during operation or fails to prepare for surgery. The list of common surgical errors includes
- Neglecting to educate patient on post-recovery care as well as recovery
- Damaging organs at the time of surgery like organ perforation
- Performing surgery on the wrong patient
- Failing to follow the procedures after surgery
- Leaving medical equipment or anything in the body of the patient
- Performing surgery in an unsanitary medical condition
Apart from these, even improper prenatal care is also a common medical error. Inappropriate care can result in long-term problems for the child and mother. It might even lead to the death of the baby. If you, family member, or friend has suffered from medical errors, you have the legal choices. You can consult a skillful Miami medical malpractice attorney and claim for the medical bills, pain and sufferings, and lost wages.